Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back in Davis

The Fall Quarter is winding up here in Davis, where I finally arrived on Monday mid-day. It was a lonely trip home, but I was met by cooler tempertatures and good friends once I arrived back in California. The back-to-school buzz is unmistakable on UCD's prisitne grounds (what different woods these are from the Amazon!). Although for the first time since I was 5 years old, I am not part of the gang heading back to classes this fall, it is heartening to be in familiar surroundings, breathing fresh air, and bumping into old friends on the street corner. As I became increasingly sleep-deprived on my journey home, I began to have some reservations about going back to the joys and comforts of home before being jolted, once again, into a challenging non-home situation. But, already I can see that those concerns were unfounded. In every respect this short time in California has exceeded my expectations. I feel incredibly supported in this small town and, I am coming to see, I feel a sort of community I haven't had since my early childhood in southwest Minneapolis. I am continuing to follow the news out of Algeria with extreme interest. I was recently informed of the possibility that my fellowship could be canceled due to security concerns (despite the fact that the primary security threats in Algeria are located in the northeast and I will be in the southwest). I am scheduled to leave on October 2nd. With the help of my Davis support, I am trying to practice positive thinking through this very frustrating situation, which is largely out of my control. Of course, your positive thoughts are welcome too! In just a moment, I will be taking off for San Francisco to catch up with Katie and some friends. I will say hello to your city for you, Jeremy! Love to all.

No comments: