Thursday, November 8, 2007

Another wedding, another stomach bug

Or is it the same old bug from the beginning of my trip that just won't leave me alone?

In any case, since the last wedding (read, goat/camel-meat-eating bonanza) I attended one week ago, the battle against my stomach bug has grown even fiercer. The troubling thing is that I didn't even eat the meat this time (which meant that I got an earful from my new, dear host and friends). Still, my body's rejection of desert meat seems to be the most common explanation for why I've been out on my back for much of the last week. Luckily, I had already made the move into Haha's house and had my own room to crash in. Things with the family have been wonderful. It turns out that in addition to the two small boys I also have two host sisters. I hadn't known about them because neither of them lives at home: onem Hadiga, is in Algeria studying and the other, Mariam, lives with Haha's mother down the road (not uncommon here). All of the kids, including the boys Mustafa and Cory, are very affectionate, even with me. Although everytime I speak to them in Hassaniya, they cannot help but laugh!

1 comment:

MOM said...

Madeline, do you remember your elementary years, when you wrote stories about Mustafa. Was he a zebra or something else? You wrote many fascinating adventures for him. Anyway, now you have a true one! How wonderful. Mom