Monday, October 8, 2007

bel Alger...

This is a photo I took last Fall from the roof-top deck of the student hostel where I am currently living in Algiers (Le centre des Glycines, room 28). It is a stunning city. During my first trip, I was taken aback by the city's physical beauty (imagine Paris' most charming features in a hilly densely packed sea-side city). But since the beginning of this trip, I have found myself struck more by what the current architectural facades reveal. Between the world-shaking War of Independence and the recent civil war ending in 2002, this city has lived through unfathomable trauma that I am only able to pick up in whiffs and hints. If it weren't for the omnipresent police militaire, you might not know the city's legacy from a stroll down the boulevard. P.S. I have not yet received my second duffel containing my power adapter, but am able to post this having made the acquaintance of a fellow Mac enthusiast here at Glycines. Florence, who is here on work from the European Commission, lent me her outlet-appropriate power charger. Also staying at le centre des Glycines are: several interns at various European various embassies here--all very interesting; a fellow UC student working on his PhD in history at Irvine; and a friend of mine from Arabic Camp in Wisconsin is due to arrive any day.

No comments: