Saturday, October 6, 2007

News from Algiers

It's Jeremy here, in Castelo de Sonhos. I am thrilled to report that the internet gods cooperated a bit with Maddy and me today, and we were able to chat online. She arrived in Algiers safe and sound on Thursday evening, though without any of her luggage. Maddy writes:

"I have arrived safely in Algiers where I will remain until I retrieve my luggage, which has gone missing in transit. Luckily, I have incredibly generous contacts here who have welcomed me into their homes and shuttled me back and forth to the airport. Now I am staying in the student hosel/research center where I stayed briefly during my last visit."


It's ramadan right now, which surprisingly means MORE food than you can imagine, after sundown. Again, Maddy says, " at dinner we had fish, chicken, and beef; two kinds of stew; two kinds of couscous; and lots of fruits and vegetables." Man, that certainly beats the rice and beans routine here in Castelo!

We can't wait to hear more from Algeria...the place where Maddy is staying has wireless internet. As soon as her luggage arrives (and she can recharge her computer), I'm sure Maddy will be in touch herself.

No comments: